Battery Park Book Exchange

Friday, June 12, 2015

So while on vacation in May the Huz and I visited an amazing bookstore in Asheville, North Carolina. It's called the Battery Park Book Exchange and Champagne Bar and it was amazing! When you first go in you see a big wine bar area, then you climb the stairs and you can just wander for hours through the stacks.
Joyce reigns over the staircase and dogs are welcome throughout the shop! There are little corners everywhere with chairs and tables for people to sit and chat over their glasses of wine.
 Little tables in front of the bookstore. We grabbed a drink and sat out here people watching after the sun had set.
This area was packed with chairs and little tables. People were sipping wine and nibbling on cheese plates. The whole time other shoppers were browsing the stacks around them.
These were all rare books. There were so many great classics! I was incredibly tempted to buy a copy of Rebecca... but it was $300.
 The Huz browsed with me while I squealed at each new nook we discovered. I ended up buying a copy of Doctor Doolittle and Hemingway's The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories.
 The main wine bar area when you first enter the shop.
Even the front door is inviting. You can see the little coffee bar where a barista will ring up your books when you're ready to leave (although you never really are ready to leave). If you're ever in North Carolina I definitely recommend you check it out!

10 comments:

Becca said...

I am so taking a trip to Asheville just to go to this bookstore. All the NC blogging peeps, we are going! ahhhh

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

It looks amazing. Bookshop AND champagne bar? Get out of my brain :)

JoAnn said...

Next time we're in Asheville, this will be the first stop!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Becca - I can't wait to hear what you think. It's the coolest bookstore!

Alex - Right!

JoAnn - You'll love it!

ChristyEnglish said...

I would love to go with you guys! I haven't been yet :) I have heard it is fabulous :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

ChristyEnglish - I hope you get the chance to check it out!

thecuecard said...

It looks like a cool place. So it's all rare and used books? Nice photos.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

thecuecard - I don't think there were any new books. It really was lovely!

Jillian said...

Wow wow wow. So beautiful. I could spend long hours there.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jillian - I could too. I tried to restrained myself : )