Meeting Brona!

Friday, September 19, 2014


I am back from vacation and fighting jet lag right now. I promise that in coming weeks there will be photos and more info about the trip (it was incredible!) but before all that I just wanted to take a minute to tell you about one highlight.

While the Huz and I were in Sydney, Australia we met up with Brona from Brona's Books. We had planned to meet for a quick drink so we could say hello. Instead, we ended up spending four hours chatting and laughing with our husbands. It was just so much fun!


Brona gave me the cutest fold-out book about Australia (see above) which I just love! The whole evening was this wonderful reminder of why I started blogging in the first place. For me, blogging is about discussing the books I've read and having a place to journal about them. That's enough right there, but then there's the huge bonus of meeting other book bloggers online. Brona and I had never met before that night, but we'd emailed and read each others blogs, so we instantly felt connected.

We sat there, 36 floors above the Sydney Harbor at a gorgeous hotel bar, drinking G&Ts and never once had a pause in our conversation. It didn't matter that we'd never met before. We shared a love of books and theatre and travel and so there was no need for awkward small talk. We lived on opposite sides of the globe, but we loved so many of the same books. It's just incredible.

Here's to blogging and Brona and our great husbands who made the whole evening even more fun. I hope we all get to meet up and do that again in the future!

p.s. Brona's posted about the night too!

Photos by moi and the Huz.

6 comments:

Amy said...

My husband and I just booked flights to Sydney for November. I'm so excited to hear about the rest of your trip. Tell me all about what we should see! (We'll be there for a little over a week.)

Cleo said...

I saw Brona's post. How exciting! Putting a face to a blog makes it all the more special.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip!

Brona said...

It was such a wonderful night from start to finish! Meeting you & Huz has made the world seem a smaller & friendlier place than our current news cycle might have us believe.
I suspect we could have talked for several more hours :-)

I can't wait to see the rest of your holiday snaps. Mr Books and I having 5 days in Noumea in 2 weeks time. I can't wait for some serious down time & a few palm tree, beach & cocktail photos of our own!

I love that we now have this special blogging connection :-)
Brona xo

Anonymous said...

Blogspot needs a "like" button. :-)

JoAnn said...

So great that you and Brona got to meet! Judging from the handful I've met, bloggers are the nicest people. I enjoyed all the photos you shared on instagram ... hope you're recovered from the jet lag.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Amy - No way!!! That's so exciting. I'll email you!

Cleopatra - Thanks! It was such a treat.

Brona - It really was lovely. I can't wait to hear about your upcoming trip! It's funny, meeting really does make the world seem that much more friendly!

bibliophilica - :)

JoAnn - I completely agree! This weekend was a much-needed time to relax and I feel a bit more recovered.