Greek Week Announcement

Sunday, March 24, 2013


This is sort of a grown-up bibliophile’s version of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. At the beginning of the month I started The Song of Achilles for Care’s readalong. I was loving it, but I was also reading it too fast. It made me think about all the tales of Greek mythology I’d read over the years and all the ones I hadn’t. So I got my copy of Edith Hamilton’s Mythology off the shelf and started reading it.

That led me to start thinking about all the different movies I’d seen that were set in ancient Greece. This was a slippery slope because there are tons of them; some good and some awful, but usually fun!

Then I remembered how much I’d enjoyed Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series and that he had a new series I’d wanted to check out. So I got The Lost Hero (the first book in that series), from the library.

Then I remembered I needed to read a play for Fanda’s Let’s Read Plays monthly challenge. And that led me to another Greek book, The Oresteia play trilogy by Aeschylus.  

So anyway, things got out of control quickly and I was surrounded by a stack of Greek themed books and Greek Week was born! I decided to post about all the crazy gods and their wrath and sneakiness throughout this week to share my craziness with all of you.

And I’ve now learned that if you give a bibliophile a good book on a topic they love, there’s no telling where they’ll end up.

Images from here, here and here

6 comments:

Lemon Tree said...

Wow! Oresteia! I only managed to read one of them, which is Oedipus Rex. Want to read more about what you think of the play.

Jeanne said...

And now you've sent me to P.D.Q. Bach to listen to Oedipus Tex...

annieb said...

I wish I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me and it is always wonderful. I responded the same way to The Song of Achilles--a terrific book.

Anonymous said...

love these kinds of slopes...

looking forward to your posts over the week as I do love this Greek theme of yours!

~L (omphaloskepsis)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Lemon Tree - I believe Sophocles wrote Oedipus Rex, so I didn't read that one this time. But I do remember reading it years ago. It was intense!

Jeanne - The Greek stuff is infectious!

annieb - I love that books always lead to more books.

contemplatrix - It was so much fun to just dive into one theme.

Nikki Steele @ BookPairing.com said...

Hooray! Looking forward to it :D