Reading the States: Washington D.C.

Friday, December 7, 2012


State: WASHINGTON D.C.

Fiction:
- The Lost Symbol* by Dan Brown
- All Aunt Hagar's Children by Edward P. Jones
- Lost in the City by Edward P. Jones
- Advise and Consent by Allen Drury
- Along Came a Spider* by James Patterson
- The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
- My Name Is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira
- You Are One of Them by Elliot Holt
- On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian C. Faulks
- Little Green Men by Christopher Buckley
- Term Limits by Vince Flynn
- The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu
- Dupont Circle by Paul Kafka-Gibbons

Nonfiction:
- Inventing a Nation* by Gore Vidal
- Finding My Voice by Diane Rehm
- Competition 1792: Designing a nation's capitol by Jeanne F Butler
- 1776 by David McCullough
- Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis
- All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
Washington Schlepped Here by Christopher Buckley

Authors Known for Writing in or about the State:
- Bob Woodward

Authors Who Lived Here:
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
- Jonathan Safran Foer
- Katherine Boo
- Justin Theroux
- Winston Groom

Great Bookstores:

*Books I've Read

Photo by moi. 

6 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Wow, DC gets a lot of action!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - I debated whether I should do one for D.C., but when I started researching it I knew I had to. There are so many books set there!

JReiss said...

Washington Post article on best books about Washington DC: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/best-books-about-washington-our-choices/2013/01/09/2734f836-538e-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks Jess! That article is awesome.

Mary R. said...

DC is a great book town I'm glad you included it! (I lived there for many years) Another novel for your list is The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu which is about a man who moves to DC from Africa and how he adjusts to the US. The DC places in the novel are really well drawn. Dupont Circle by Paul Kafka-Gibbons is another novel that nails the local scene.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Mary R - Wonderful! I added them in!