Reading the States: Alaska

Friday, January 13, 2012


State: ALASKA


Fiction:

- The Call of the Wild* by Jack London
- The Yiddish Policemen's* Union by Michael Chabon

- Aleutian Sparrow by Karen Hesse
- Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
- Drop City by T.C. Boyle


Nonfiction:

- Into the Wild* by Jon Krakauer
- Coming into the Country, by John McPhee
- Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska by Timothy Treadwell
- Big Alaska: Journey Across America's Most Amazing State by Debbie S. Miller
- Klondike: The Last Great Gold Rush by Pierre Berton
- Coming Back Alive by Spike Walker
- On the Edge of Survival: A Shipwreck, a Raging Storm, and the Harrowing…
by Spike Walker
- If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende
- A Land Gone Lonesome by Dan O'Neill
- Backcast by Lou Ureneck

Authors Known for Writing about the State:
- Jack London
- Spike Walker

Great Bookstores:
The Homer Bookstore

*Books I've Read


Photo by moi.

5 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I've not read any of these books (well I started the Chabon book but it was horrid on audio and I stopped after the second disc). I loved "Into the Wild" the movie though.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - I usually like Chabon and I wasn't a fan of that one at all.

I was really surprised to find a huge number of nonfiction survival/adventure accounts for Alaska. I guess that makes sense, I just didn't think of it.

Jenners said...

The only one I've read is Into the Wild. This is going to be a great little series.

BookQuoter said...

I have THREE UNREAD books from your list, guess I need to read at least one soon.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jenners - That one was great! The movie was good too.

BookQuoter - I haven't read half of these yet either, but I'm getting there.