Lineage of Grace

Thursday, June 16, 2011


Lineage of Grace Series
by Francine Rivers
★★★

The Lineage of Grace series consists of 5 books, all fictional accounts of biblical women in the genealogy of Christ. Rivers does a good job portraying each of the famous characters and giving their point of view in the unique situations. Most people are familiar with at least some of these stories, but reading a personal account shines a different light on the well-trod ground. The five books are listed below with the title and the woman they feature.

Unveiled – Tamar
Unashamed - Rahab
Unshaken - Ruth
Unspoken - Bathsheba
Unafraid - Mary

My favorite two of the series are Unveiled and Unshaken. I’ve always loved Ruth’s story and I knew very little about Tamar’s story. My lease favorite was Unspoken, which tells the story of David and Bathsheba. It was hard to connect to the characters' selfish motives.

One aspect I really like about the books is the fact that River prints the complete Biblical passage at the end. That allows the reader to see what she took from scripture and what she fictionalized. There’s also a devotional with relevant questions at the end of each book. I think they would be perfect for a small women’s Bible study or something similar, because the questions could spark good discussion.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

This sounds interesting. I definitely have never read anything like these books. Are the books preachy or biased or anything like that?

Kristi said...

I've never heard of these, but I will definitely look into it. I can see how the David and Bathsheba story would be difficult to connect with. What David did was pretty abhorrent.

BookQuoter said...

I like the titles of the books. Do they come packaged as one or is it a series?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jillian - They aren't preachy, but they definitely come from a Christian POV.

Kristi - I know, and the repercussions are horrible.

BookQuoter - They come as a series. I read the first one a couple years ago and have read one every 6 months or so. I decided to review them as one unit because they're very similar. If you like one, you'll like them all, but they work as stand alones as well.