Book Clutter

Saturday, September 18, 2010


Does anyone else's console table look like this? Mine has been this way for far too long and I've been trying to find a way to keep myself from covering the top with magazines and books. I'm always clipping articles or reading a chapter or two from a book and then leaving the reading material sprawled out on the table. I finally came up with this solution...


I bought two baskets that sit on the bottom level of the table and whenever someone comes over I can just scoop all the piles of books into the baskets.


(The magazine-filled basket)

Do you guys have any similar problems with books taking over your home? I won't even get into the mess that is my bedside table.

Photos by moi.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Im a bit of a neat freak so any books I dont have room for go. My main issue is magazines, they are just messy anyway

Falaise said...

I used to when I lived on my own. It was almost impossible to get into one of the bedrooms because of the boxes of books and the entire dining table was covered with my TBR pile.

Bibliophile said...

I finally gave up trying to keep my huge coffee table tidy and bought a smaller double-deck coffee table. Now all the junk and books go on the bottom "shelf" and so far I have been able to keep the clutter on the top to a minimum. Baskets or filing boxes for the bottom are the next step. Now if only I could find a solution for the clutter on my desk...

Anonymous said...

I rather enjoy book clutter!

Allie said...

While I like having my books all over the apartment, my husband does not, so I try to keep it under control. There is usually a stack on my nightstand, and one or two in the living room.

Anonymous said...

I definitely have similar problems and I have to admit that your table still seems pretty "organised" compared to mine at times! I love your solutions as well..

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I agree, I enjoy the book clutter, but my husband doesn't love it.

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

The book clutter usually happens around my computer as I finish a book and stew a bit before I write my review, or enter things from it onto LibraryThing, and then decide if I'm going to keep it or pass it on. But it doesn't compare to the rest of the clutter (junk mail, newspapers, bills, etc., etc.,) around it!

Cute baskets though!

P.S. I also forgot to tell you that I gave you an "award."
http://paperbackpirate.blogspot.com/2010/08/feeling-love.html

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Captain - You are way too kind. Thank you!